The transnational nomination of the Mediterranean Diet as Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity has the following goals:
- The protection and sharing of a millennial cultural heritage and its extension to other Mediterranean countries;
- The transfer of knowledge and expertise to the future generations;
- The preparation of a Transnational Safeguarding Plan;
- The implementation of inventories of the Mediterranean Diet;
- The education for sustainable development and the balance between territories;
- The education for healthy eating and the prevention of diseases related with eating imbalances and errors;
- More closeness, mutual knowledge and cooperation among the people of the world.